If you’re not sure which Canary Island you should choose for your next holiday, this place should convince you that Tenerife is the right destination!
Loro Park (In Spanish: Loro Parque) is a zoo and botanical garden in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife. In addition to the huge number of different species of animals (including parrots, gorillas, jaguars, tigers, meerkats, chimpanzees, turtles…), this place is famous for a variety of shows that are very popular with children and adults. The most interesting are: parrot shows, dolphin shows, seals and sea lions show and a killer whales show.
It is worth adding that the killer whale shows are organized with special security measures. Over the years, there have been several accidents involving killer whales in Loro Park. The most tragic one took place in 2009, when the animal killed one of the trainers during the show. At the moment, trainers no longer get into the water during killer whales shows.
History of the Park
Loro Park was established in 1970 by the German Kiessling family (the same family that is also credited with the founding of Siam Park and Poema del Mar). The official opening took place in 1972, when 13,000 m2 of the park area were opened to the public. The biggest attraction at that time were the parrots. More than 150 specimens of these animals lived in Loro Park and it was the first place in Europe where the parrot shows were organized.
Over the years, the park has grown, and more and more new spaces that attract tourists were being created. In 1987, the largest dolphinarium in Europe at that time was opened. In the following years, various sections dedicated to new species of animals were created, as well as places prepared with the youngest in mind. (e.g. Kinderlandia).
The ever-increasing number of attractions required more space. In 1992, the area of Loro Park was increased more than tenfold, up to 135,000 m2. This is the area that is open to visitors to this day.
In 1994, the park authorities established the Loro Parque Fundación, which deals with the protection of endangered animal species.
Distinction and awards
Loro Park is a place that is appreciated by people and organizations from all over the world. The most valuable awards that the park can boast include:
- the best tourist attraction in Puerto de la Cruz according to TripAdvisor (2017),
- the third best zoo in the world according to TripAdvisor (2014),
- Prince Philip’s Award for Merit to Tourism (2000).
What should you see in Loro Park?
Loro Park is divided into several main parts, each of which has a different type of attraction to offer. As it is a place that presents not only a rich animal world but also nature, some of the attractions focus primarily on specific plant species. The most interesting attractions of the park include:
- AquaViva and Aquarium – aquariums full of jellyfish, tropical fish and sharks
- Orca Ocean – swimming pool with stands, where killer whale shows are organized
- Zen Garden – an Asian and Atlantis-esque underwater garden
- Lion’s Kingdom – space dedicated to lions
- Museo de la Porcelana – a huge collection of porcelain figurines depicting parrots. Some of them are as old as several hundred years!
- Orquidiario – a space full of different orchid species
- Aviario – an aviary full of beautiful, colorful parrots
- Naturavisión – cinema showing documentary films on park-related topics (some films are also available in 3D)
- Planet Penguin – here you will see penguins inhabiting the Antarctic area
- Jungle Area – one of the oldest parts of Loro Park, presenting jungle vegetation
- Pueblo Thai – Thai-village styled space
Tips for visitors
- If you want to visit the Loro Park, buying the tickets in advance is necessary! This is the only way to skip the checkout line. You can buy tickets to Loro Park here >
- To save time and money, buy a combined ticket for Loro Park and Siam Park (Twin Ticket). You can buy it here >
- If you want to visit Loro Park, it is best to buy your tickets in advance. You will then avoid standing in a long queue and avoid the risk that all tickets have been sold out.
- Opening hours: from 8:30 AM to 6:45 PM
- Address: Av. Loro Parque, s/n, 38400 Puerto de la Cruz, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
- Buy Tickets on GetYourGuide
- Buy Tickets on Tiqets
- Buy Tickets on Musement
Hotels in Tenerife
Discover Canary IslandsThere are seven main islands in the Canary Islands archipelago. Discover all of them and check out the places worth to see.
|Island||Tourist attractions and interesting places|
|Tenerife||Loro Park, Jungle Park, Siam Park, Lago Martianez, Monkey Park and other Amusement parks in Tenerife. Teide National Park, volcano Teide (Pico del Teide), Los Gigantes, Masca, Anaga Mountains, Pyramids in Güímar, Casa de los Balcones, Cueva del Viento, Dragon Tree. Popular cities in Tenerife: Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Buenavista del Norte, Garachico, Puerto de la Cruz, Puerto de Santiago, Costa Adeje, Taganana, Guía de Isora, San Cristóbal de La Laguna, El Médano, La Orotava, Icod de los Vinos, Arona, San Miguel de Abona, La Matanza de Acentejo, La Victoria de Acentejo, Santa Úrsula, Los Cristianos, Playa de las Américas, Los Realejos, San Andrés|
|Fuerteventura||Dunas de Corralejo, Oasis Park, Acua Water Park, Lobos Island (Isla de Lobos), Parque Natural de Corralejo, Ecomuseo La Alcogida. Popular cities, towns, and villages: Puerto del Rosario, Corralejo, Tarajalejo, El Cotillo, Majanicho, La Oliva, Morro Jable, Costa Calma, Caleta de fuste. Popular beaches in Fuerteventura: El Castillo, Playa de Esquinzo|
|Gran Canaria||Tourist attractions: Poema del Mar, El Faro de Maspalomas, Cenobio de Valerón, Pueblo Canario, Necrópolis de Arteara, Casa de Colón. Amusement Parks: Holiday World Maspalomas, Aqualand Maspalomas, Sioux City Park, Palmitos Park, Mundo Aborigen, Camel Safari Park. Natural attractions: Jardín Canario (botanical garden), Pico de Bandama Hill, Barranco de Guiniguada, Pinar de Tamadaba (natural park), Dunas de Maspalomas, Roque nublo, Barranco de Santa Brígida, Cañon del Águila, Doramas Park (Parque Doramas), Parque de Santa Catalina. Popular cities: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Maspalomas, San Bartolomé de Tirajana, Playa del Inglés, Puerto de Mogán, Artenara. Beaches in Gran Canaria: Playa de Las Canteras (Plaża Las Canteras), Playa del Inglés, Playa de San Agustín, Playa de Taurito, Playa de Puerto Rico, Playa de Guayedra, Playa del Juncal, Playa Hoya del Pozo, Playa de Melenara|
|Lanzarote||Cueva de los Verdes (cave), Jameos del Agua (cave), Jardín de Cactus (cactus garden), Timanfaya National Park (Montañas del Fuego), Aqualava Water Park, Museo Atlántico Lanzarote (underwater museum), Castillo de San Gabriel (castle), Castillo de San José (contemporary art museum), Papagayo Beach (Playa de Papagayo), Fundación César Manrique (museum and an old house of César Manrique), Los Hervideros, Mirador del río, Volcano El Cuervo, La Geria. Popular cities: Arrecife, Puerto del Carmen, Playa Blanca, El Golfo i Charco de Los Clicos|
|La Palma||Popular cities: Santa Cruz de la Palma, Breña baja, Breña alta|
|La Gomera||Garajonay National Park, Los Órganos, Casa de Colón. Popular cities: San Sebastián de la Gomera, Chipude, Agulo, Playa de Santiago|
|El Hierro||Popular cities: Valverde, La Frontera|