Majorca is often said to have many undiscovered places. The one you will read about in this article is definitely not one of them, though.
Palma Aquarium is one of the largest marine aquariums in the world, opened in 2007. Its location in the capital of the island (Palma de Mallorca) made this place quickly become the number one attraction for both tourists and locals.
Inside the aquarium there are 55 water tanks that are home to more than 8,000 animals and plants. In total, we will see here 700 different species from the Mediterranean Sea and all oceans.
The shark aquarium
The Big Blue shark aquarium is the real pride of Palma Aquarium! This deepest shark aquarium in Europe is 8.5 m deep, 33 m long and 25 m wide. Its total capacity is about 3.5 million liters of water! The huge glass of the aquarium and the seats in front of it make you feel almost like you are at the bottom of the ocean. The more so that huge sharks are swimming right in front of our eyes again and again…
Things to see in the Palma Aquarium
The Palma Aquarium tour is a journey through the various aquatic ecosystems around the world. All of them have been divided into separate zones, thanks to which you can take the tour efficiently and intuitively. The zones include:
- Mediterranean Sea – even though the Palma Aquarium is only 500 meters from the sea, swimming in the Mediterranean Sea and the opportunity to see all the charms of its sea bottom are two different experiences. In this zone you will see not only a variety of fish up close, but also starfish, lobsters, octopus, seahorses, crabs and many other interesting species.
- Tropical Sea – different species of fish, plants and corals from the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean and Indian Ocean await you here.
- Amazon Jungle – part of this zone can be found outdoors . It looks like a tropical jungle. This feeling is additionally enhanced by heavy, humid air, exotic plants and a waterfall.
- Mediterranean Gardens – this part of Palma Aquarium is open-air. The aquariums have been replaced with ponds full of fish and turtles.
- Jellyfish aquarium.
FUN FACT: Palma Aquarium is home to the largest coral reef in Europe.
In the Palma Aquarium you can do more than just sightseeing – this place also offers you several activities that the greatest lovers of the underwater world will probably be tempted to engage in. These are:
- Diving with sharks – an attraction for adults and older children.
- Swimming in the aquarium with rays – an attraction available in summer to both adults and children over 8 years of age.
- Night with sharks – children 6-16 years old can spend the night in the room with Big Blue, which is an aquarium full of sharks.
- Birthday party – if you want to organize a birthday party for your child in an unusual place, Palma Aquarium is also open to such suggestions. The organized event is kept in a pirate style, which will surely appeal to little explorers!
FUN FACT: Your kids won’t be bored even during a standard Palma Aquarium tour. There are special play zones for them, both inside and outside the building.
If you want to visit Palma Aquarium, it is best to buy your ticket in advance. You will then avoid standing in a long queue and avoid the risk that all admission tickets have been sold out.
- Opening hours: from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM
- Address: Carrer de Manuela de los Herreros, 21, 07610 Palma, Illes Balears, Spain
- Buy Tickets on GetYourGuide
Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Discover Balearic IslandsThere are five main islands in the Balearic Islands archipelago. Discover all of them and check out the places worth to see.
|Island||Tourist attractions and interesting places|
|Mallorca||Attractions in Mallorca: La Seu Cathedral, Dragon Caves in Mallorca, places related with Frédéric Chopin and George Sand, Serra de Tramuntana Mountains, Palma Aquarium, Alcudia Coastline, Cap de Formentor Peninsula, Bellver Castle, Castillo de Santueri Castle, Almudaina Palace (Palau de l'Almudaina). Water parks and Amusement parks: Western Water Park, Aqualand El Arenal, Safari Zoo Mallorca, Jungle Parc, Dinosaurland, Marineland Mallorca. Popular beaches: Playa de Palma. Popular cities: Palma de Mallorca, Valldemossa, Alcúdia, Porto Cristo, Can Picafort, Santa Ponsa, Port de Sóller, Sa Calobra, Sa Coma, El Arenal, Vilafranca de Bonany, Palma Nova, Port de Pollenca, Deià, Alaró, Fornalutx, Santa María del Camí, Megaluf.|
|Menorca||Cova d’en Xoroi Cave Disco, Son Catlar (an old settlement), Cap de Cavalleria, Favaritx Cape, Monte Toro Mountain, Fortaleza de la Mola, Torre de Fornells. Popular cities: Ciutadella de Menorca, Maó-Mahón, Fornells.|
|Ibiza||Dalt Vila - Ibiza's old town, Ses Fontanelles cave, Cova de Can Marçà cave, Cova Santa cave, Cala Llonga cave, Cova des Culleram cave, Na Coloms cave, Ses Salines Natral park, Es Vedra island, Sirenis Aquagames Aquapark, Aguamar Aquapark, Portinatx Aquapark, Museo Etnológico de Ibiza y Formentera, Sa Caleta archaeological site, Café del Mar bar, Cap Blanc Aquarium. Popular cities: Ibiza, Sant Antoni de Portmany, Santa Eulària des Riu, Sant Josep de Sa Talaia, Es Cana. Popular beaches: Cala de Sant Vicent|
|Formentera||Natural park Ses Salines, Espalmador island, El Pilar de la Mola Plateau, Platja Mitjorn beach. Popularne cities: San Francesc Xavier, La Savina, Es Pujols, Sant Ferran de ses Roques, Sant Ferran de ses Roques, Es Caló|
|Cabrera||Cabrera National Park, Castillo de Cabrera (castle).|