If you are spending your holiday in Tarragona or Barcelona, apart from the numerous monuments that you will find in these cities, you should also visit attraction number 1, which is located in their vicinity!
PortAventura is the largest and most popular amusement park in Spain. Here you will find Shambhala, the highest roller coaster in Europe (76 m) going at a speed of over 130 km / h! However, this is just the tip of the iceberg in the sea of attractions that await you in this place.
Things to do in PortAventura
Everyone who has visited this place at least once knows that PortAventura deserves to be called the Best Amusement Park in Spain. In the contest for the Best Amusement Park 2016 organized by TripAdvisor, PortAventura took the first place! Why exactly is this amusement park, located several dozen kilometers from Barcelona, visited by over 3 million people annually?
The PortAventura World is divided into several themed areas, each of which offers a different kind of entertainment:
- Mediterrània – inspired by the most beautiful views that can be found around the Mediterranean Sea. In this charming fishing village you will find breathtaking roller coasters (such as Furius Baco) as well as activities for younger family members.
- Polynesia – a perfect place for tropical jungle lovers and Indians! Here you will experience amazing rafting down the waterfalls, an “Indian show” and find an Indian-style souvenir shop.
- China – it is time to travel through the culture of ancient China. Here you will find the aforementioned Shambhala roller-coaster and the mind-boggling Dragon Khan roller coaster with as many as 8 loops!
- Far West – The Wild West has never been so close! Here you can feel like a real cowboy. In addition to the attractions which you have so far seen in western films only, you will also find shops and restaurants matching the atmosphere of this land.
- SésamoAventura – is a place where children are the biggest stars! This part of the park was created with kids in mind and which offers entertainment that is a bit less adrenaline- fueled…
- México – here is where lovers of Mayan culture will feel at home! Streets that make you think of a small Mexican pueblo, amazing “merry-go-rounds”, the El Diablo – Tren de la Mina rollercoaster and artistic shows are the best things that can happen to you in this place!
Ferrari Land is the newest part of PortAventura Park. In fact, it can be said that it is a separate amusement park. A park in the park? Yes, it sounds a bit unusual, and what’s more, it’s not the only thing that sets this place apart from other amusement parks in Spain.
Ferrari Land covers an area of 70,000 m2, where you will get a rush of adrenaline and have lots of fun! Nowhere else in Europe will you find a place where you can discover all the secrets behind the legendary Italian brand and its creator, Enzo Ferrari, in such an unusual way. Impressive, innovative technologies combined with the characteristic red design of the park is an opportunity for the whole family to have lots of fun. And it looks something like this:
PortAventura Caribe Aquatic Park
A separate part of PortAventura is also the Caribe Aquatic Park. Most of its part is made of swimming pools and various types of slides in a Caribbean style. Some of them can really make you dizzy, as you will see in the video below:
- It’s best to buy tickets to PortAventura in advance. You will then avoid standing in a long queue and avoid the risk that all tickets have been sold out.
- Children under 3 years of age enjoy free admission to the park.
- Opening hours: March to November: usually from 10 AM to 7 PM or longer. In the winter months, the park is open only on selected days. You can check the current opening hours at www.portaventuraworld.com/horarios-calendario
- Address: Av. Pere Molas, Tarragona, Spain
- Buy Tickets on GetYourGuide
PortAventura on a map
Discover CataloniaEach region of Spain is divided into provinces. Their names often coincide with the names of their main cities. Catalonia is divided into four provinces, each of which has different tourist attractions and interesting places to offer:
|Tourist attractions and interesting places
|Gothic Quarter Barri Gòtic, La Rambla, Montjuïc, cable railway Telefèric de Montjuïc, Magic Fountains (Font Màgica), La Boqueria, Laberint d’Horta Park, Poble Espanyol, Camp Nou, Torre Agbar, oceanarium in Barcelona, Barcelona Zoo, Tibidabo Amusement Park, Palace of Catalan Music, National Art Museum of Catalonia, Picasso Museum, Catalan Museum of Archaeology, Miniature Park - Catalunya en Miniatura, MACBA Museum of Contemporary Art of Barcelona, Generalitat Palace, Basilica of Our Lady of Mercy (La Mercé), Cathedral of Barcelona, remains of the temple of Augustus, Els Quatre Gats Cafe, Erotic Museum, Santa María del Mar Church, Port Vell, Plaça de Catalunya, Parc de la Ciutadella, Parc de Collserola, Casa Amatller, Palau Güell, Passeig de Gràcia - luxury street in Barcelona, Montserrat Monastery. Barcelona's neighborhoods and districts (El Raval, El Born, Sant Pere, Les Corts). Gaudi's Monuments: Sagrada Familia, Park Güell, Casa Milà, Casa Batlló, Pabellones Güell, Bellesguard, Casa Vicens, Casa Calvet. Popular cities: Barcelona, Torrelles de Llobregat, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Tarrasa, Badalona, Sabadell, Mataró, Santa Coloma de Gramanet, San Cugat del Vallés, Cornellá de Llobregat, San Baudilio de Llobregat, Rubí, Manresa, Villanueva y Geltrú, Viladecans, Casteldefels, El Prat de Llobregat, Granollers, Sardañola del Vallés, Mollet del Vallès, Gavá, Sant Antoni de Vilamajor
|Salvador Dali Museum, Museum of Miniatures and Microminiatures Micro Mundi, Sausage Museum. Popular cities: Girona, Figueres, Besalú, Blanes, Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar, Olot, Salt, Palafrugell, San Felíu de Guixols, Rosas, Bañolas, Palamós, Santa Coloma de Farnés, Castellón de Ampurias Torroella de Montgrí, La Bisbal del Ampurdán, Ripoll, Castillo de Aro, Calonge, La Escala, Cassá de la Selva, Castellfollit de la Roca
|Popular cities: Lleida, Tárrega, Balaguer, Mollerusa, La Seo de Urgel, Cervera, Solsona, Alcarrás, Guisona, Almacellas
|Amusement and theme parks: PortAventura. Popular cities: Tarragona, Reus, Vendrell, Tortosa, Cambrils, Salou, Valls, Calafell, Amposta, Vilaseca